Thursday, September 30, 2010

Charles Fuller

On Tuesday, September 28, 2010, Charles Fuller graced Howard University with his presence in the Ira Aldridge Theater. To be honest, I have never heard of Charles Fuller or his famous work, “A Soldiers Play”. I sat in Ira Aldridge Theater patiently waiting to see what the big to do was about. Once Mr. Fuller took a seat, the hostess, whose name I didn’t catch, began reading off his bibliography. I was amazed at Charles Fuller accomplishments. Charles Fuller said that, “growing up back in his day was very stereotypical, especially when he would go to the movies. The directors would embarrass black folks by having an ignorant black man or a big black woman in the kitchen.” This inspired Fuller to show the independents of African Americans. It was imperative for African Americans to show the world that they were just as capable of being a doctor or the hero as whites. In the 70’s, there were many black exploitations movies that thrived on black power. Charles Fuller also spoke about his complex of the south. Fuller stated, “It is really hard for to go pass Washington D.C. Back in my day, once we were passed D.C., blacks had to get in the back of the bus.” I don’t think Fuller is the only person with that problem. African Americans have a hard time going back to a place that caused so much stress for their people. The South if full with tension and hurt; I don’t blame Fuller for not wanting to go. After hearing Charles Fuller speak, I realized that we all have a purpose out here. And we must fulfill our purpose so that we can help the next generation. Charles Fuller paved the way for us, now we must pave the way for upcoming youth. Therefore, what is my purpose in life?

No comments:

Post a Comment