Thursday, November 11, 2010

Skin Tone

In class this week, Dr. Diaz showed us pictures that had been altered to give a certain image.  These pictures were of celebrities and most of them were for covers of magazines.  Many of the pictures were lighten so that the celebrity skin tone would not be as dark.  As an African American, it is shameful to have your skin tone lighten in a picture and very disrespectful to your race.  Skin tone has been a huge problem in the African American community.  I believe that whatever color you are you have a purpose in this world.  Many African Americans have social problems that are caused by their dark skin tone.  However, it is beauty and history in their skin tone.  In American, society perception of skin tone is that the lighter you are the more privilege you are.  African Americans should stand up and protest against that perception by not purchasing certain magazines or brands that agree with this perception.  And I believe we should protest against celebrities are lighten their skin to fit into the mainstream society.   We have to learn how to love our self in order for us to make a difference in the world.  It is imperative for African Americans to stand up for community and their race.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with what you’re saying on your blog. I believe that skin lightening is already an issue for people in our community and when they see celebrities allowing magazines to do that, it sends the message out that it is okay when it is not. As you said, we need to love the skin we are in because it does in fact have history. I also think it a problem for other races as well. White people try to get darker and go tanning. Magazines make them darker on covers so it goes to show it’s not just a problem with African Americans. I think everyone should be happy with what and how God made him or her.

    ReplyDelete